Yay! He popped the question, congratulations! What an exciting (and slightly crazy) time for you and your hubby-to-be. Many of my brides don’t know where to begin and all of the questions from excited friends and family can be slightly overwhelming. Hopefully the steps below will help you focus on what’s really important and leave you with time to enjoy having a super sparkly finger!
1. Enjoy your Newly Engaged Status- If you don’t have one of these already now is a good time to sign up for Pintrest and start pinning! I find that many times even if brides already have a Pinterest page, after they actually get engaged their ideas and visions change. Your Pinterest page gives me a great idea of some various themes and styles that you like, this helps me begin styling your event. (if you haven’t thought about a wedding planner yet, that’s ok, you will need me, you just haven’t realized it yet). Graciously accept those first few gifts you receive as a couple and enjoy the happiness and love! What’s better than to crack open a bottle of the bubbly and start looking through bridal magazines?
Photographer: Hilary B Photography
2. Discuss and Start Setting up a Budget- I know this can be a tough conversation to have, but without deciding on a budget you have no idea where you can have your wedding or if you will have money left over for the fun details you have in mind. Sit down with you fiancé, parents or family members to figure out who is contributing, how much they can contribute and how much the total budget will be.
3. Timing- You don’t need to narrow down the exact date you want to get married and it’s honestly better not to do this just in case your venue isn’t available that day. Rather, think about the time of year you would like to get married. There are advantages to each season and many times during the winter, venues offer discounted rates due to slow season. Think about what the weather will be like, work schedules/vacation time, holidays and yes, even football season (or whatever sport your fiancé might be crazy about).
Venue: Spring House, Block Island, RI / Photographer: Katie Osgood Photography
For my brides looking to get married on Block Island, it’s important to know that venues book up fast; save the dates and correspondence to your guests usually start much sooner since you are more or less having a destination wedding.
Some other things to keep in mind during the pre-planning stages are the seasons of flowers, color themes, and cuisine. If you are dreaming of Peonies, the perfect season is late spring or early summer (May-June). Imagine jewel tones as a perfect color palette for a fall wedding. Warm the hearts of your guest as they arrive with a signature warm apple cider for those chilly, yet beautiful winter weddings.
4. Start a Guest List- We know that putting a list together is tough; of course you want to invite everyone! A good rule of thumb is to evaluate your budget along with your guest list, remembering that if you increase the guest list, you will need to increase the budget. I recommend putting together an “A” list and a “B” list of guest invites. As the planning begins, I will assist on finding the perfect venue for your list of guests, whether you remain with your “A” list or move into your “B” list.
Photographer (L): Snap! Photography / Photographer (R): George Street Studio Photography
5. Decide on Your Style- Knowing and deciding on the style of wedding you want; Vintage, modern, classic, eclectic, handmade, rustic (oh, there are SO many!) is a great starting point. The beauty of “wedding styles” is that they also coincide with decor and details, so having an ideal vision from the beginning will help start the process. There is no need to design your whole wedding right now; this is where a wedding planner can really become your best friend and help you translate the vision of your dream day into a reality.
Photographer: Susan Sancomb Photography
As a wedding planner, I’m here to assist you with your style and make your dream day come true. Allow me to take your vision and transform it into reality, while you enjoy the bliss of being engaged, the joy of wedding showers and the excitement of becoming a “MRS”!